So help me, I am an immigration attorney. I've practiced on the East Coast, where illegal immigration and immigration fraud are generally viewed as victimless crime. I've practiced on the border where it's so easy to beat the system that nobody bothers trying to work within it. The only perspective I come from is I want good government -- responsive bureacracrats, well-versed judges, and enforcers with a sense of proportion.

Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Notario Alert

Even if you don't live in the Bay Area, you can still benefit from the work they ILRC is doing to combat immigration fraud. And please, for the love of all things right and good, if a "notario" or a "document preparer" tells you a story that's too good to be true, or says, "Sign here, I'll take care of the rest." Trust your gut.

I have seen clients who find that they have accidentally plead asylum, or married someone, or filed for an obscure government program that had nothing to do with them. Any of these programs will get you a work permit for a little while, while your paperwork is being processed, so you feel that you are getting somewhere. But what you've really done is put yourself on a fast-track to deportation.

Get good help. It's out there. A good place to start is this list of free or low-cost service providers. But many immigration attorneys will give you a free or low-cost consultation to discuss your real-life options. Please respect them as businesspeople and do not abuse this service.

No comments: